1. Drink Plenty of Water
Water is not food but I am including it in the category of diet because this is perhaps the most effective as well as most simple remedy for wrinkles. Water is one of the basic necessities of our body that we tend to ignore. Drinking water will not only avoid and treat wrinkles but will keep you healthy in general. Plenty of water keeps your skin hydrated. Remember, one of the reasons for wrinkle formation is loss of moisture! So, drink water, plenty of it. Now what’s plenty is subjective. On normal days when you do not work heavily, 6 to 8 glasses of water is sufficient but when you work hard, play a lot, go to gym, or do any other work that drains out water from your body, drink even more water. Check to keep your water filtered and safe. Chemicals and dissolved ingredients in hard water may even be more dangerous for your skin. If you are having healthy beverages during the day like fruit and vegetable juices (not colas and sodas), they can also be counted as intake of water.
2. Have Foods with Wrinkle Fighting Elements
And what are such elements of food? I’ll tell you. They are antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, trace minerals like selenium and copper, high-quality protein, plant compounds such as isoflavones, retinol- one of the forms of vitamin A, iron, vitamin E and C, mono-unsaturated fat etc. Here’s the list of foods from which you may get all these substances.
- Dark colored fruits and vegetables
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts
- Legumes, beans and lentils
- Oily fish like tuna, salmon, herring and sardines
- Flaxseed and sunflower seeds and oil.
- Brazil nuts
- Whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat and oats.
- Green and white tea
- Soy foods (you should have them in moderation only)
- Fruits like papaya, avocado, pineapple, berries, watermelon
- Vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, ginger, garlic
Include the above in your diet. In short, forget junk food and adopt healthy foods!
3. Use Cosmetics with Care
We use cosmetics and other beauty products to enhance our skin quality but often end up in damaging it a little more. Be aware of such cosmetics that can harm your skin and lead to form wrinkles on them.
- Avoid products having alcohol in them. Alcohol dries up your skin by dehydrating it. A skin lacking moistures tends to form wrinkles fast. Instead, use water based solutions and products or those that have natural oils in them such as avocado or evening primrose oil. They help in keeping your skin hydrated avoiding wrinkles.
- Avoid using concealer to hide wrinkles. Believe it or not, they make your wrinkles more prominent by settling themselves in the spaces in between the fine lines.
Never over wash your face. The dermatologists at the University of Maryland Medical Center have hold that tap water can strip skin of its natural oils and moisture that protect your skin against wrinkles. Also you should not use harsh soaps while washing your face. Always use one that has moisturizer in it. You can always use natural cleansers like milk to clean your face instead of washing it often.
4. Don’t Stress
Easier said than done! But then, getting rid of wrinkles too is not an easy task. You need to get rid of your stress because it makes your skin thin and weak which cannot fight with the elements that produce wrinkles. Also when you frown or scowl, they only help to make your temporary facial lines permenanet. Do whatever will de-stress you. Here are some suggestions.
- Listen to music
- Learn something new
- Develop a hobby
- Do Yoga
- Write down your feelings to vent them out
- Talk to friends, family
- Volunteer for social cause
- Befriend pets
- Spend time with children
- Read books
Or find something unique that will eliminate your stress. After all your stress is unique to you and it’s solution too lies within you!
5. Don’t Smoke; Don’t Smoke Passively Too
Again a tough task for smokers. For non smokers too and for none of their mistakes. Smoke produces free radicals. Free radicals lead to body’s molecular instability which in turn weakens and kills body cells by damaging their membrane. As a result, collagen production in body is affected. Collagen, if you remember, is the element which gives elasticity to your skin. Lack of elasticity in skin means wrinkles. So, if you smoke, stop smoking. If you don’t smoke but are surrounded by people who smoke, try to convince them not to smoke at all. If you are unable to do so, ask them not to smoke near you. If that is also not possible, get up and go somewhere else till the time your friend or partner finishes smoking. Just avoid any environment where there is tobacco smoke.
6. Vitamin E Mask
Vitamin E is a known skin friendly component. Our body’s cell membranes can absorb vitamin E to repair the damaged skin- the damages that result from reactions of fatty acids with oxygen. Vitamin E, in fact, can also prevent wrinkles from forming on your skin.
You will need:
- Vitamin E capsules- 3
- Yogurt- 2 teaspoons
- Honey- half a teaspoon
- Lemon juice- half a teaspoon
- Take out the oil from vitamin E capsules.
- In a bowl, mix this oil with other ingredients.
- Apply this mixture on your face.
- Leave for about 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.